A surprisingly easy bread to make – packed full of goodness.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the seeds and mix well. Mix the buttermilk with the honey. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour all the milk at once. Using 1 hand, with your fingers stiff and outstretched like a claw, stir in a full circular movement from the centre to the outside of the bowl. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky. When it all comes together turn it out onto a floured work surface.
- Wash and dry your hands. Knead gently for a minute and pat the dough into shape. Grease a 2lb cake tin with butter. place the dough in the tin and cut a deep cross on the loaf and prick the four corners. Sprinkle with a few extra seeds. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 mins or until cooked.
- Tap the bottom of the bread, when it is cooked it will sound hollow. Cool on a wire rack.
- Delicious sliced and served with Irish butter and jam or set on the side of a bowl of steaming, homemade soup.